Family Cycle Tour of Provence
The sublime landscapes and pretty villages of Provence have been an inspiration for artists for centuries. To really appreciate the countryside the ideal means of travel through the region is by bike. Fields of lavender and poppies, old olive groves and vine covered hills, orchards brimming with fruit and crumbling farmhouses are characteristic of the landscape. Explore historic relics from prehistoric to Roman times, and take your time to soak up the sights and sample the wine and produce of the Cotes du Rhone and greater Provence. Splendid churches, medieval castles and picture-book Montagnette villages along the way provide an excuse for frequent stops. The night in St. Remy de Provence, the birthplace of Nostradamus and the town where Van Gogh spent his last years painting some of his best works, is one of the many highlights of this inspiring cycling adventure.
Family Cycle Tour of Provence
|Description||Trip Cost Per Person AUD|
|Child <2yr share room with 2 adults||$130|
|Child age 2-6 share room with 2 Adults||$740|
|child aged 7-12 share room with 2 adults||$800|
|Single Traveller Surcharge||$330
|Electric Bike Supplement||$60|
Pricing is correct for exchange rates on 24/10/17 and can change at any time.
|Name||Provence Alpilles By Bike|
|Level: Introductory-1||16-41km/day on undulating terrain; relaxed pace; suitable for children & beginners.|
|Activity||Self Guided Cycle|
|Accommodation||4 nights in 2-3 star hotels|
|Departure Dates||Daily from 15 Mar - 15 Oct|
- MEALS: *4 breakfasts, 3 dinners
- ACCOMMODATION: *4 nights in family run 2 and 3 star hotels on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities
- BACKUP & SUPPORT *information pack including route notes & maps per room booked *luggage transfer (1 bag weighing max 20kg per person) *emergency hotline
- EQUIPMENT: *21 or 24 speed bike rental with pump, repair kit, lock, helmet and panniers (electric bike available on request – supplement applies. Child bikes are also available on request)
- Travel to and from Arles/Graveson/Barbentane
- Drinks, Lunches and 1 Dinner in Arles
- Entrance Fees
- Tour Guide – this is a self guided cycling trip
- Travel Insurance
- Times of a personal nature
DepartureTour starts in Arles / concludes Barbentane or Graveson
Departure TimeArrive any time on Day 1
Return TimeConcludes after breakfast Day 5
Dress CodeSand shoes, comfortable cycle clothes, wet weather gear, hat, sunscreen
IncludedFamily Cycle Tour of ProvenceLocal TaxesTransport between destinationsDinnerAccommodationBreakfast
Not IncludedGratuitiesActivitiesAirport TransfersFlightsLunchDeparture TaxesEntry FeesPersonal Guide
Day 1: Arrive Arles
- Arrive in historic Arles, which dates from the 7th century BC and was a major GalloRoman city.
- visit the Arena and the Roman Theatre
- cycle along its canal to the reconstructed Van Gogh bridge, the setting of the painter’s famous “Pont de Langlois” works.
- Meals: Nil
Day 2: Arles to Les Baux-de-Provence
- Today’s cycle is short, giving you time to explore the area and Les Baux
- a picturesque village with a royal history and high fortified ruins.
- There are some great museums in the village including the History Museum and the Olive Museum
- Cycle 21km
- Meals: B,D
Day 3: Les Baux-de Provence to Saint Remy-de-Provence
- From Les Baux you return to Maussane along a back road
- gorgeous views of the Alpilles, and continue to Saint Rémy.
- The year before his death, Vincent van Gogh spent time in an asylum in this town and also in nearby Arles.
- The colours and light were an inspiration in his paintings. Other well known artists that have been attracted to the area include Picasso, Gauguin, Matisse and Cézanne.
- There is ample opportunity to explore delightful Saint Remy, including the house where Nostradamus was born.
- Cycle 28km
- Meals: B,D
Day 4: Saint Remy-de-Provence to Barbentane/Graveson
- Today you will cycle along back roads across the market garden plains of Châteaurenard to your hotel in Graveson or Barbentane.
- Cycle 16-21km
- Meals: B,D
Day 5: Trip Concludes
- Arrangements conclude after breakfast.
- It is a 15 minute taxi ride to Avignon TGV station where you can take the train to Paris (3hrs).
- Start planning your next amazing family holiday
Europe offers many trails perfect for cycling or walking, and the food is fantastic!
Provence offeres pretty villages, fields of Lavender, olive groves and vine covered hills. Visit historic Roman relics, splendid churches, medieval castles and crumbling farmhouses. This area of France is known for its wine and food, take your time to sample the local produce and smell the lavender on the warm breeze.
- Deposit: $400pp - may vary depending on type of trip
- Boat trips have higher deposit due to strict cancellation fees.
- Final Payment: All invoices must be paid in full 70 days prior to arrival
- Min group size: 1
- As the trip price is based on twinshare, a single supplement is payable if a single room is required ‑ or a single traveller supplement if you are travelling solo*. Please refer to the price options for costs or ask our office for details. Note regarding single rooms ‑ The single supplement guarantees the privacy of your own room, however, rooms can at times be small and in some places may not enjoy the same facilities as double/twin rooms. *The single traveller surcharge is only available on trips deemed suitable