“Travellers can often be affected by what is known as ‘Bali Belly‘ which is basically an upset stomach or travellers’ diarrhoea. Caused by a change in diet and lifestyle, the symptoms generally include – Abdominal bloating, cramps and pain. Nausea and/or vomiting”. TravelOnLine
I have chatted with many clients who would love to travel to Bali, Thailand, Vietnam or Malaysia with their children but hold off due to the fear of them or their children ‘contracting’ Bali Belly.
Bali Belly is not something you can catch, it is due to changes in diet and lifestyle while on holidays. If you were at home and suddenly had cooked breakfast every morning, full lunches with chips and beer and 3-course dinners, your stomach would be just as upset at home.
Best Tips for avoiding ‘Bali Belly’
- Take daily probiotic – there are many options now for children and adults that are reasonably priced and do not have to be refrigerated. We buy the Natures Way Probiotic Choc Balls that the kids love and happily take every morning, and capsules for ourselves.
- try to have food from home every 3rd or 4th night – pasta, grilled fish & salad etc.
- brush your teeth and rinse only in bottled water
- avoid restaurants that are not busy, food turn over may be less than ideal
- drink plenty of water and only bottled water
- don’t worry if you have one or two episodes of upset stomachs and diarrhoea, settle your eating for a day and all will be good again tomorrow.
- Enjoy all these beautiful Asian countries, the food is amazing and people are beautiful.
- On March 7, 2019
- 0 Comments